IS A WORK AT HOME IS A WORK AT HOME SITUATION RIGHT FOR YOU?

By Gina Steele

Some of us just want to work at home because we’re sick of NOT working at home. Some of us want to work at home to become greener. Some of us want to work at home for health reasons. Some of us want to work at home because we just love being at home. Others want to work at home to be there for kids, spouses or other family members.

For some women, as soon as many people become parents their career goals shift. They put their career on hold indefinitely while they enjoy every aspect of being a stay at home parent. Others believe that a big part of being a good mom or parent is to maintain their career as it existed prior to motherhood or dadhood. However, for many, work life isn’t so black and white when children enter the picture. Some parents know they want a balance of being home and working, but they don’t know what that should be. This question is often one of the first signs that a work from home situation might be worth investigating.

When thinking about a work from home situation, one of the first considerations to make is whether or not you are emotionally ready to leave the workforce. Sure there are days when office life seems dull or full of unnecessary politics, but your work environment may provide positive things as well. Work environments give you a structure and routine that while at times might seem boring or stressful, is often reassuring and productive. And having colleagues and a boss can be an important part of people’s creative fuel. Some folks truly thrive in the company of their coworkers and they need to find a way to still be connected if they work from home.

“At first I felt a bit isolated when I started working from home, but I found ways to connect with my office even though I no longer have a desk there,” explains one work from home advertising executive and mom. “Brainstorming via conference calls and making an occasional trip to the office for meetings are just two ways I stay connected with my work colleagues.”

For some the social outlet that their career provides is necessary to their sanity.

Time for friends and socializing is often less available when you become a parent. Many women are grateful to have a work environment that provides a social connection.

“I truly missed seeing my work friends every day, but it forced me to develop a ‘new’ environment to make friends. I started going out most mornings to get a paper and coffee after getting the kids off to school and I wound up making friends at the local coffee shop,” explains a work from home accountant and mom.

A work from home grant writer and mom was afraid of going crazy without some adult contact. She decided she would be happier and therefore more productive if she made an effort to find some friends in her local community.

“I decided to join my neighborhood gym and enjoy a midday workout. Now I’m not only getting some exercise, but I have a new group of gym friends I really enjoy seeing a few times a week.”

You might be coming at a work from home situation from another angle. Maybe you’ve been a stay at home mom for a while and miss working. Maybe a work from home scenario will allow you to get back to your career while still being accessible to your children.

“Even though I love being home with my kids I simply knew that sooner or later I would want more. When my third child was born I was busier than ever on the home front, yet I felt ready to start working again. It had been four years since I worked as a manager in a communications firm and I started to miss the independence and growth I received from my career. I decided to do some freelance work from home and have been so happy to have a new balance of work and family in my life,” explains a work from home communications executive and mom.

In addition to the emotional implications of a work from home situation, it’s also important to consider whether or not you are financially ready for this change. While some people have a great home office, others need some help setting one up. Often if you’re working for an established company, a computer, printer, phone line, etc. may be supplied by your employer, but other things might not be. A good desk and chair and some additional office supplies will most likely be your responsibility.

If you are starting your own home business not only will you need to consider the office supplies mentioned above, but a host of other start up cost may also apply. For example, will you need marketing supplies for your new business such as business cards, stationery, and a website? Or is the size and scope of your business such that you require legal and accounting fees?

Regardless of the costs associated with your work from home situation, it may be helpful to spread some of these expenses and purchases over a period of time before starting. If you’re working for an employer, be sure to have a clear understanding of how specific expenses will be covered, such as phone bills and office supplies. If you’re working for yourself, there’s no better time to begin and maintain detailed budgets and accounting information.

Especially if you’re a parent, with a work from home scenario you also need to consider the other people that live in your home. Will you need childcare while you work? How will your new schedule impact your kid’s schedule? Will projects encroach upon the time you were once typically free to be a mother and wife? Will you be using space that once had another function? Will someone miss that space? While it’s impossible to anticipate how your work situation will impact everyone, it’s once again good to plan ahead.

Take some time to set up your office and let everyone understand this is now your workspace. Whether it’s a room with a door or a space in a larger room, it’s important for your family to realize this area is designed for your work. Your kids need to understand they shouldn’t play with any of your work supplies and they shouldn’t enter your office while you’re working.

You’ll want to have your childcare plan in place whether you plan to work when your spouse is home, when a sitter is available, when the kids are in school, etc. Don’t start working and decide to ‘figure it out as you go.’ It’s simply not realistic to be as productive as you possible can be without a good childcare plan in place.

“I made the mistake of thinking I could just work around the kids’ schedule. Whenever I had a few minutes, I would work. This was an awful plan. Just when I would get going, someone would need me. I constantly used the television as a babysitter. Eventually I got things sorted out and hired a sitter for eight hours a week and also worked a few additional hours during the evening and weekends when my husband was around. This plan is perfect; I just wish I hadn’t spent a miserable two months juggling beforehand. I would tell anyone not to make my mistake. Figure out your work schedule and childcare plan first,” explained a work from home inventory consultant and mom.

A work from home situation isn’t one that should be rushed into. You must consider several things. How will your family be affected, what are the financial and emotional implications, do you have a good workspace? Like any major life decision, this one should be careful considered and investigated before taking the plunge. Don’t just act. Plan this career move out carefully.

Copyright 2007 Work-at-Home.org

Labels:

Posted by manung36, Sunday, January 13, 2008 12:53 AM

0 Comments:

<< Home | << Add a comment